Sunday, October 11, 2009

Job Interview

At the IoA, Cambridge. I am on the job market. There is a reception with good food, brandy. It feels more like one of the old colleges. I talk to the wife of an astronomer who describes her plot to blow up something important. Gary arrives. He is no longer a publisher's rep for Wiley. He tells me he works for a University of London college and is helping them hire someone from the IoA. I notice I am wearing scruffy clothes. Gary hands me one of my dress shirts and tells me that I didn't get the job but should go down to London anyway. The implication is I still have a chance. I will be staying near Kings Cross.

Walking with Mike eating chocolate. The daughter of an IoA astronomer is talking to us. I ask her when she will visit us in South London.

On a train. I get off at a tube station. The sign says "Twickenham Spurs." I am at the top of a flight of stairs. A tube train rolls into the station. A man walks on the roof of the train. A sign explains that the number on the front of the train is related to the score of the most recent Spurs' game. I run down the stairs but the train doors close before I get there.

An envelope on which is written a song. It sounds like "You're crazy but you're beautiful," but when I try to play it I cannot make the words scan. I tell someone I wrote it fifteen years ago and it worked fine then.

No comments:

Post a Comment