Friday, October 30, 2009

Short-changed

In Vegas. When I get to my hotel room a party is in progress. I find I am sharing the room with two friends. The party irritates me but eventually it winds down. My friends get the two beds and I sleep on a table. I ask one of them why we are sharing a room. He tells me a long story about the hotel manager denying entry to someone using a wheelchair. I ask him if I am getting a discount on the room since I am sharing it and he tells me I am not.

The last day of my visit. I am annoyed that I have not yet played Omaha-8 at The Mirage. I figure I have enough time to play there for a while before I leave, but I have to return to my room with my suitcase. I get lost in a corridor and ask a housekeeping maid the quickest way to my room. She indicates a door. When I push it open I find it is a wooden slat at a diagonal to the corridor. It does not lead anywhere.

In my room. I find a plane ticket but it is not in my name. The name is that of one of my roommates. I look for my ticket.

In a cafe in Baldwin City with my suitcase. I am trying to get to Logan airport which is nearby. I worry how I will get to the airport since I do not have a car. I am about to leave but am getting some food: ice-cream and a chocolate biscuit of a type I recognize from childhood. The check-out woman is like a waitress in a Baltimore diner. She says "Mind if I take a tip to the bar?" I give her money. I am expecting change but get none. I shrug it off.

Looking at my watch wondering how I am going to get a cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment