Sunday, October 11, 2009

Exit Only

In a tunnel. Walking along the tracks of the London Underground. Trains approach from both directions. To avoid being crushed by the trains I open a small door in the side of the tunnel and hurry through it. "I could have been killed," I say.

In the Uplands Road house. I am in a rush to get to the airport. I am going to Minneapolis to see Gina. I had a reservation on a rental car, but I do not have enough time to get to the rental car place. I ask Richard if he will drive me to the airport. He is very reluctant and says Mum will take me and that she will be back soon. He seems to be hiding something. He claims that he has to go for a walk for the next hour and a half. I tell him if he doesn't help me out I will never speak to him again. Finally I persuade him to lend me his car. It is Friday. I promise him I will bring the car back from the airport on Sunday. He is not happy. There is construction on Uplands Road and a triangular sign that says "Exit Only," black on yellow with one vertical arrow and another pointing to the left. I look at my watch and remember I have not packed my bag yet. There is not enough time for me to catch my plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment