Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Observatory Home

On Baker campus. It is a year or more since I worked there.

Thinking of Mike B. I pass Mulvane and wonder about the new science center.

Reading a letter of recommendation for me from two professors at Amherst. It is a short letter and both professors contribute to it. One writes "useful because I bike in." The implication is that because I drive I can sometimes give him a ride.

A building in the middle of campus, octagonal floor plan, a dome on top. Large glass windows and doors in a stout wooden frames. It is attached to a newer, larger building. I think it would be cool to live in the wooden building, but decide it would be too small unless I could also live in part of the newer building.

Hungry, walking to the cafeteria. It may be one I have dreamed. I plan to buy a Twix. I wonder how I will be received since it has been some time since I quit working here. Will I even be remembered? It feels like the last day of the semester.

I buy the Twix with a $5 and we have terrible trouble figuring out the change. At one point the cashier gives me a $5 and 60 or 65c back. I tell her it cannot be right.

Talking to a former student who compliments me on the women I sleep with.

Talking to a professor who is not from Baker. He tells me the Science Expansion did not work out and the Doomsday Scenario occurred. He is referring to Physics staffing. I say "Which is where they were before I got here." I feel some guilt at leaving.

I wonder if I would accept the job if offered it. It is not clear if the job is at Baker or a postdoc somewhere. I feel a sense of resignation at accepting a job; it seems to be what is expected.

I get in The Bug and drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment