Friday, October 30, 2009

Tornado

Driving with Jack. Mum and Richard in the back of the car. There is a storm; no rain, but heavy clouds, lightning, windy. Debris blows across the street and there are signs of tornadic rotation. I tell Jack to "reverse now." We drive backwards, away from the tornado. A blue car travels in the same direction as us, going forwards. We stop. Jack and I get out of the car. I point at the lightning and see a star. Jack walks into the road to get a better view and is hit by a car. He bounces off the hood. The front wheel of a second car slowly rolls over his head. Mum says "He didn't kill himself, did he?" She is not upset, just angry at his incompetence. I approach the car that ran over him. An overweight man, burly, babbles in a language I don't recognize. It sounds eastern European. The man's face and shoulders fill the car window. I feel sure he saw Jack in the road and could have stopped. I shout at the man. I think he may be drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment