Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shadow Puppets

On a roof. Rough black tar on a row of garages overlooking an auditorium. Andy is sitting with his girlfriend who isn't Debbie anymore. They are talking about me.

In the auditorium. I am wearing a suit, white shirt, and heavy black cape. There is going to be a classical music performance, but I do not see an orchestra. The music begins. It is dreadful, easy-listening "popular classics." On a projection screen rabbit shadow puppets move roughly in time with the music. In front of me, men in tuxedos begin bobbing up and down to the dreadful music. Their actions have been prearranged. As the music gets worse they jump higher and higher. The bearded conductor stops the performance and asks pompously how long he is going to be made a fool of. I shout out that maybe people don't like the music. Some in the audience applaud. The conductor says we will take a recess.

Walking from the auditorium. The cape is much too hot so I take it off. It is a nuisance carrying it. I meet Tom and shake his hand, then continue walking on my own. I pass a cafeteria which is empty except for a couple talking. I come across a smaller room where people are gathering. Tom and Mike are there. An attractive blonde woman walks over to us. She asks us if we will buy her and her friend a drink. She says they have liquor if we can provide the juice. I ask her which bar is open, trying to give the impression I know where I am. She says the one on the third floor. Mike and I rush to an elevator. The doors, which are made of old, patterned glass, close before I get there.

Outside in daylight. I tell Mike I did not like the music. He says he thought it was okay, but it was spoiled for him because during the performance someone near him was frying chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment